Saturday, December 26, 2009

Yuki

Yuki is the direct Japanese translation for snow.

Why, you may ask?

Because I'm in love with Yuki Nagato.

^^


For those of you who have not even a remote idea of
who she is, Yuki is one of the main characters from the
Melancholy of Suzumiya series,
and by far my favorite girl in it.

And she's wearing Haruhi's Brigade Leader armband, by the way.
How did she get it?
....I'll let you guys figure it out.
XD

So art-wise,
I've spent quite some time on the black-and-white lineart
as drawing straight from the tablet is still not so easy,
but I'm learning to get used to it without
having those husky outlines from my constant re-traces.

I've also incorporated new styles of coloring and shading by utilizing more layers
and not being so lazy with the overall color composition
that made all my previous works rather...lifeless?

Please tell me what you guys think about this piece yeah,
as constructive criticism is needed for my learning curve
and all-round praises makes me happy I've spent time doing these pieces.

=)

3 comments:

kai-ism said...

Hey hey ^^

your not doing too bad. Overall looks pretty good actually.

Just a few points where it can be improved further.

- be careful of the consistency of the outline's darkness.i can see the outlines are dark for the top part but at the bottom it got lighter. You can either lighten everything or the opposite. Which in this case i feel darkening it makes it more 'solid'

- color wise not much of a problem for now, just try to be brave with adding a higher contrast shadow to bring out the contrast. i understand the initial fear for adding shadows ^^;; everyone goes through that stage. So try looking more at the references of your favorite artists.

- last but not least make sure the area you are coloring are filled in completely. Er...meaning i can still see 'white' next to the outlines. I assume you 'magic wanded' those areas, so just do some touchups manually with the tablet ^^

Keep it up! You'll be pretty comfortable in no time. Don't be afraid to refer to the works of your favorite artists. It helps to start by copying their styles.

Hope to see more from you in future ;)

~kai

ps: don't feel shy to ask if there is anything you want to know ^^ i'm always glad to share what i know.

kai-ism said...

oh forgot to add,

yuki nagato is love <3

Leon Woon said...

Yay! Thanks Kai for the really helpful advice. I'll try to add in your feedbacks into my future works.

Ironically enough...my painting sucks in class itself...=.=

Anyway, thanks again!

And yay, Yuki-chan~!